ATU Sligo Library values your privacy and recognises the need to process your personal data in a fair, transparent and lawful manner in accordance with the legal obligations as set out in the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (GDPR) and the Irish Data Protection Act 2018.
The purpose of this notice is to explain how ATU Sligo Library collects, uses and processes your personal data. This notice also sets out the legal bases on which we rely to process and use your personal data and makes you aware of the third parties with whom we may share your data.
What type of information does ATU Sligo Library collect about you?
The types of personal data collected by us include:
- Full name
- Contact details (telephone number, email address, home/work address)
- Staff/Student ID number
- Department/course affiliation
- Library usage history
- Room booking data
How does ATU Sligo Library collect your personal information about you?
We obtain your personal data either directly from you or indirectly from other sources including:
- The library management system Koha which records items borrowed/returned, interlibrary loan requests and purchase suggestions.
- Information submitted for room bookings on Microsoft Booked
- The student record system Banner which records contact details, etc. (Students only);
- Library membership application form (for External members, Alumni);
- Photo for ID Cards (Staff only).
What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
The processing of your personal data is necessary for the following lawful purposes:
- To fulfil a contract into which you enter when you register as a student or when you apply for membership as a staff/external member;
- To fulfil legal obligations, for example compliance with copyright legislation, etc.
How does ATU Sligo library use your personal data?
Personal data collected and processed by us may be used for the following purposes:
- To administer your library membership;
- To support teaching, learning and research;
- To communicate about library related services and notices (overdue book notices, availability of reserved/new books etc);
- To facilitate room bookings;
- To provide appropriate information, support and services;
- To fulfil legal obligations (e.g. protecting and upholding copyright laws);
- For the continuous improvement of library services;
- For statistical purposes.
Does ATU Sligo Library share personal data with any third parties?
Your personal data is held securely by us and access is restricted to those staff members who need the personal data for one of the purposes set out above.
We may also share your personal data, where necessary, with the following external organisations:
- Library management system provider
- Online content providers (user ID only, for authentication purposes)
How long does ATU Sligo Library retain your data?
We do not hold your data for any longer than is necessary. On expiry of your membership, your personal details are deleted from our system, save for when there are outstanding books on your account.
What are you rights in relation to your personal information?
Subject to certain conditions, you have the following rights under data protection legislation:
- Right of Access;
- Right to Rectification;
- Right to Erasure;
- Right to Restriction of Processing;
- Right to Data Portability;
- Right to Object to Direct Marketing;
- Right to Object to Automated Decision Making, including Profiling.
How do I contact ATU Sligo libraries about data protection?
Please contact us if you have any questions about the data we hold about you or if you wish to exercise any of your rights:
ATU Sligo Library
ATU Data Protection Office
What are cookies?
Cookies are small data files that are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Cookies are used to make websites work efficiently and can also provide information to the owners of the website.
Which cookies do we use?
We use the following cookies to gather statistics on visitors to the website.
|_ga||itsligo.ie||Registers a unique ID that is used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the website.||HTTP||2 years|
|_gat||itsligo.ie||Used by Google Analytics to throttle request rate||HTTP||1 day|
|_gid||itsligo.ie||Registers a unique ID that is used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the website||HTTP||1 day|
|Ads/ga_audiences||Google.com||Used by Google AdWords to re-engage visitors that are likely to convert to customers based on the visitor’s online behaviour across websites.||Pixel||Session|